Back and Spine Health
The spine is incredibly delicate and complex. So are the medical conditions that require spine surgery. While more than 1.62 million spinal procedures are performed annually (the majority without issue), complications can arise.
This makes finding an experienced and qualified spinal surgeon a must for patients in the Las Vegas, NV area.
In this guide, we will cover a few of the ways to find a qualified spine surgeon in Las Vegas, NV for your procedure.
What To Ask About Qualifications and Experience
1. How Many Times Have You Performed This Type of Surgery?
The answer to this question will give you an idea of how comfortable and experienced your surgeon is with your specific type of procedure. Practice does make perfect, and is typically why medical residencies and fellowships are so long prior to practicing.
2. Are You Fellowship Trained in Spine Surgery?
A fellowship training program is akin to an apprenticeship program for a day laborer. These intensive programs enable the doctor to learn and perform and be trained ‘on the job’ by an experienced spine surgeon, perfecting techniques and gaining a deep undertaking of each procedure prior to going out on their own.
3. Are You a Board-Certified Spinal Surgeon?
Your surgeon should be board-certified, as well as a member of one or more spinal associations.
4. What Types of Results Have Your Other Patients Had With this Procedure?
Although every individual, circumstance and medical history are unique, this question can help you gain better insight into what to expect, and how successful that particular surgeon has been in helping his or her patients achieve their goals.
5. What Types of Complications do Your Patients Experience During or Post-procedure, and What do You Do To Mitigate Those?
Of course, we all hope that our procedure goes off without a hitch. But unforeseen complications do arise. Make sure your surgeon has a plan in place to mitigate these in a manner that you are comfortable with.
6. What Percentage of Your Practice is Devoted to Surgical Spine Solutions?
Like they say, “A Jack of all Trades is a Master of None”. What you want to make sure here, is that your surgeon and their practice specializes in or places a focus on spinal conditions and surgical treatments. You want to know that their staff, team and equipment have been superficially chosen to deal with spinal surgery and that everyone there is not only familiar with the procedures, but an expert in the field.
7. Ask About Innovations and New Technology
A good spinal surgeon will keep abreast of all the latest innovations, technology, techniques and treatment options in the field. They will also invest in keeping their practice up to date on the latest best practices to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
8. Comfort, Care, Compassion and Connection
Undergoing surgery of any kind can be an anxiety-inducing and worrisome experience. You want to make sure that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and that you trust them and their team to take good care of you.
Your Surgeon Should:
- Not be rushed when meeting with you
- Take time to thoroughly answer any questions you have
- Make sure you understand all aspects of the procedure
- Make sure you are comfortable with your options moving forward
- Establish a human connection with you
- Help you feel at ease
- Earn your trust
The Robotic Spine Institute
Have questions or concerns about your own upcoming surgery? Looking for a spine specialist in the Las Vegas, NV area? Reach out to The Robotic Spine Institute today and connect with a team of spine surgery experts eager to help you improve your quality of life.